Saturday 16 March 2013

Sunday Book Reviews


The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window And Disappeared 
by Jonas Jonasson

Weird, yes, that's probably the best description for this book.
Funny too, and I am now completely confused about world historical events.
It certainly wasn't boring in respect that there was always something going on.
However, I'm still not sure if I loved it or not. I'm a bit ambivalent about it really.
It was average on the writing front and whilst the story itself was fun, it was a bit like a fairy tale in a way, which isn't a always a bad thing but for some reason the fact that Allan seemed to have lived this blessed life really started to grate on me after a while.
I would recommend it if you like light, funny books and it's the perfect book for travelling.




  May We Be Forgiven by A M Holmes

I had to read this book after reading the reviews, so I picked a copy up from my library and sat down on a Saturday afternoon with it. 
I was engrossed from the start and unless I'd read it previously in the reviews, I would never have noticed there were no chapters, in fact I would have stayed up all night reading if my eyes hadn't starting blurring over.
I love Harry and I felt sorry for him too. It really annoyed that the writer kept making all these bad things happen to him. It did start to irritate me a little by the middle of the book but nowhere near enough to stop reading.
There were some great little moments in the book that had me giggling out loud, much to my husband's annoyance, he just didn't get it and got sick of me quoting my favourite lines to him after a while.
I wanted to slap Claire's lawyer, kill George and I wished Nixon never existed as I got thoroughly sick of hearing about him. Politics can be so boring!
I thoroughly enjoyed joining Harry on his journey and only wish the book was longer as I didn't want it to end.
Please, please read this book-it's brilliant!

No comments:

Post a Comment